Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Eve 2014

Dallas and I have been going back and forth on when to establish our own family traditions.  Growing up, we both did presents after Christmas Eve service.  I can remember, so vividly, being anxious for my parents to quit talking after church so we could get home!  We would run into the house, find a spot in the living room, and they would distribute our gifts.  The anticipation alllllll day long about did me over!  Dallas's, as a child, was the same.

We discussed that the kids are still little, and really, they could go to sleep right when we get home from church.  Maybe they shouldn't have such a late night anyway with all the activity going on.  Maleah was in tears at the thought of celebrating Christmas Eve, because it wasn't Christmas.  We weren't doing it right, and Miss Rule Follower wasn't going to have it.  We had been going hard all day, so thought maybe a fresh Christmas morning start would be better.

But alas, we decided to go for it!  And, I'm so glad we did.  It was so, so special.

We got home from Dallas's parents, changed into our new and special Christmas clothes, and hopped back into the van to head to church.

How hard is it to get a nice picture of all of us?  Sigh...
After church, we went straight home.  The kids wanted to change into their jammies while I got some snacks ready.  We had popcorn with "add-ins," little smokies, fruit & dip, chips & dip, and wait for it...their very own bottle of pop!  It seemed as if all their Christmas wishes were already made.  We ate and talked, then moved into the living room where we handed each kiddo their three gifts.





They were all absolutely tickled with their presents!  I tried to not spend my whole evening behind the camera, but did get a few money shots.  Oh, the excitement of a child...









My present from Maleah was an ornament she made me in school.  She was so excited to give it, and I loved receiving such a super sweet gift.
We stayed up until 10:00 (at least), all playing together with their new toys.  We paid for that move a couple days later, but by golly, we had the most fantastic Christmas Eve!  And, they weren't up at the crack of dawn Christmas morning.  Score!

I remember being a child at Christmas.  The excitement was more than I could contain, and it all seemed so magical.  But, this Christmas, the joy I experienced as a mom at Christmas time overwhelmed me.  It was so much fun to see them experience the wonder and awe, watch him jump up and down over a Pez dispenser he "wanted his whole life," and eagerly wait for Santa.  Being a mom proves over and over to be one of life's greatest blessings, and this Christmas season showed me that once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment