Friday, August 19, 2011

Thoughts.

Disclaimer #1: I hate reading blogs where everything is perfect all the time. You know, when the child is naughty and a brat, but still everything in the world is perfect? Whatever. Or, when I get envious and discontent by seeing all the things we don't have or don't do. Never do I want this blog to come across like we got it all together. This is real life.
Disclaimer #2: Again, I never want to come across like I'm looking to pick a fight. The choices we make in our family are not for everyone. I refuse to be the annoying judge, lingering in your life (who can stand those people anyway?). If you are different than me, your thoughts far from mine, no worries. But, this is my blog. So it will be my thoughts.

Seeing all these pictures of kids going back to school has conjured up so many thoughts. Every single person I've spoken to in the last couple days has said, "It goes so quickly." No doubt.

Many people have asked if Maleah is doing preschool. The answer is no. If time already goes so quickly, I'm in no hurry to speed it up. Once they start school, they are in school for the next 15+ years. Preschool used to start at age 5 but now starts at age 3. I just can't fathom Maleah starting her whole school life as a toddler. I just want to keep their innocence as children.

Like one of my favorite moms says, "I homeschooled my children until kindergarten." I feel the same way. While I don't consider myself a homeschool mom this coming year for preschool (it's mostly play, not much academics), I do feel as though every day has given us teachable moments, and we are constantly learning and growing together. I've been busy the last couple days getting a meal & snack schedule, school supplies, and activities for the girls. We have plans and an agenda for this year. I look forward to showing you along the way!

Beings I am with my children 24 hours a day, I do get tired of them. But, I didn't really have children to not spend my days with them. I love being their teacher and role model, choosing who they "socialize" with, and being there for every moment, making so many memories to put in my back pocket so that when they're out of this house I can be confident that noone knows them like I do. All the sacrifices we have made to make this all financially possible have been so worth it. I have the rest of my life to make money and have things. Children are here and gone. Their firsts are one-time-deals.

Having said all this, my children are not the most important thing in my life. First, is my relationship with Christ. He was, long before them; is, through this all; and will be for all eternity. Secondly, my husband. I refuse to be so wrapped up in my children's lives that when they leave for college I look at Dallas and say, "who are you?" This is why I have no problem getting a babysitter, putting the kids to bed early, or telling them they have to be quiet for a short five minutes so I can talk to Daddy. With our season of life, the kids are demanding so much time. We love it and it is no problem. But Dallas will always be priority over them. Always.

I can't wait for the day my children leave the home and we see all that we have worked for. I can't wait to watch them grow and blossom into beautiful mommies and hard-working men. Going to school is exciting. Leaving the home is exciting. It's all wonderful!

But for now? I have little children. And they are only little for so long.

1 comment:

  1. you are the best, Maris. So glad I'll have you to be my mentor when I get married and have kids :)

    ReplyDelete