Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Swimming.

Here's the deal: I'm signed up for a sprint triathalon.  I have more moments of wondering why in the world I did such a thing, but then I remember I've birthed four babies.  I can do it, right?!

I did a sprint tri with my dad, as a team, a couple years ago.  It was seriously so fun!  This summer, it's all on my own (in the good company of Jacinda).  And heck, if I'm spending the time getting into shape, I might just go for two races.

Dallas so nicely informed me that if I'm tired when running, I can walk or even stop.  When biking, I can slow those wheels as putzy as I need.  But swimming?  Yeah, I got to get out to the middle of a deep, dark, dirty lake swarmed with hundreds of people, and back.  So, a swimming I shall go.

Every Tuesday night, my friend Stacy and I go grocery shopping and swim laps.  (I'm already in town for teaching.  Perfecto!). It's more fun with someone, breaks are for chatting, and most importantly there's accountability.  Swimming is hard, but I'm already feeling the benefit.  The fact that it's at 9:00 at night is harder.  That's this old lady's bedtime.

I'm actually looking forward to working towards my goal.  It's a commitment and it's tough.  But those are the things that are usually worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Marissa!!! I LOVE sprint triathlons-- so much fun. Just a tip: open water swimming is much different than lap swimming. Every Monday evening in the summer they do open water swims at George Wythe. It's great because there are people in kayaks there in case you need assistance, and you're not swimming alone. Contact The Runners Flat in CF to ask when they'll start (usually May-August). Good luck! ~Karah

    ReplyDelete