Monday, July 28, 2014

Major Catch Up!

Just when you think you might have a boring couple weeks, a whole lot to life happens.  Woofta!  I am going to do my best to get up to speed here, but in no particular order, as I don't even remember how this all happened...

Most importantly, I have been spending lots of time with my Grandma Hayes.  Upon a couple turn of events, we were all suddenly told to come say our goodbyes.  Beings that she is 91, we are so thankful for her long, healthy (her lost hospitalization was giving birth to her daughter 50-something years ago!), wonderful, fulfilling life.  And yet, impending death stirs up a whole lot of emotions.

It was a blessed time, as my sisters and their families came, cousins visited, we sang one evening to Grandma, and time together is just plain ol' good.  But, watching and waiting for death can be agonizing.  Things get better, then worse, then better, then worse.  Thursday night I visited and she told me, "I waited and waited to go to heaven this morning, but He never came for me."  She is so ready for glory.  We know God's timing is perfect, but the waiting is hard.



In between sitting with Grandma, we've been cleaning out her apartment.  We came across journals and journals documenting years and years.  Some days it's just the weather, or "It was a nice day."  Other days, she tells what they did, how Grandpa was with his Parkinson's, or the price of gas.  As I have been sitting beside my Grandma, I've been reading her journals to her.  "Read them out loud," she tells me.  We have laughed and laughed.  One thing I have found, and through it have been remembering, is that us grandkids spent a lot of time at their house.  One day they painted the club house.  That was for us.  Another day they brought us girls to piano lessons.  That was for us.  Another day she was worried because Alisa wasn't feeling well.  That was for us.  She was an amazing grandma, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity the last couple weeks to tell her that.  She just smiles and says, "Well that's real nice of you to say."

Death changes your perspective, for the better.  The drama of everyday life suddenly seems so trivial.  There is freedom in that.  We are still waiting with her, and cheering her on towards her eternal home.

After Erica and Alisa went home, I needed a reprieve myself.  Weimer's and us packed up and headed North.  What generous in-laws to allow us the space and give us our own time to relax and have fun!  I am so, so grateful!

Just chillin'.



They tubed, and tubed, and tubed, and tubed.


To say Charlie loves being at the cabin is an understatement.
He is a happy boy up there.

Tubing, again.
It was such a relaxing time, and a good chance to unwind and regroup with no distractions.

Next up: our 10k.  A couple weeks ago, Dallas and I ran a 10k.  I know it seems trivial to lots, but to us this was a major feat.  It was 90% humidity, raining, and felt like a tropical rain forest.  But, we survived.  I thought it wasn't so bad.  Dallas might give you a different story.


The night before the race, we loaded up on birthday cake and pizza celebrating the Wessels summer kids!  Our kids are so blessed with an abundance of cousins.  Celebrations and birthdays are quite the get together.  We feel fortunate that our children have so many friends to share the fun times with!




Lastly, we had small group family night last night.  In the summer we have gotten our families together once a month.  What a treat!  We eat together, play an intense game of kick ball, enjoy ice cream sundaes, make s'mores over a campfire, and blow up fireworks.  Things have been hectic and draining lately, but an evening with these people is so life giving.


These two were born a day apart.  Oh, the memories.



I love this photo of Dallas and I.  On top of a hill, God's beautiful creation behind us, and the gorgeous sun set with the vast array of color.  My strong and steady with his arm around me.  While life is so uncertain and wavering, there are a few things that are not.  Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment