Monday, July 28, 2014

my Layla.

It happened with Maleah too.  As school approaches, I get all this hype in me.  Did I make everyday count?  Was this the best summer ever?  Our days are numbered.  I hope I was everything I had to be.  Did I make home the best place to be the last five years?



Layla will be going off to Kindergarten in a few short weeks.  While I have found that I actually love the school years, the growing up, and the excitement that comes with it, it is still just strange.  I will always be the mom who cries sadness on the first day of school and cries happiness on the last day of school.  Call me crazy, but I love and adore having my kids home with me.

I have worked so hard at intentionally creating home to be a space that is a retreat for our family.  I want home to be safe, quiet yet fun, and the best place on this earth.  We have said no to a lot of things, creating time and margin in our life.  We don't want to do crazy busy.  We haven't done it perfectly, but by golly we have tried.

While I know I have done this for five years with Layla, I suddenly feel the pressure this summer.  It went so fast.  It was so good.  But it flew by.

Then, last night she gave me all the affirmation I needed.  Without cue or prompting, this was our conversation...

Layla: What are we doing tomorrow, Mom?
Me: Nothing at all.
Layla: Yay!  I love nothing at all, because home is perfect.  Perfectly relaxing.
Me: I love to her you say that, Layla.  Mommy loves being home too.
Layla, as I am right outside her bedroom headed downstairs: Home sweet home.


No comments:

Post a Comment