Friday, August 29, 2014

Triathlon + the weekend

I crossed an item off my bucket list this summer: complete triathlon.  I'm glad I did it.  I can't say I feel the need to do it again, but it was fun while it lasted.  :)

We decided to get a cabin for the weekend at the park where the race was.  It worked so well.  The morning of the race I could get up without bothering anyone else, and sneak out the door bright and early.  They were able to eat breakfast there, get ready on their own time, and literally walk about three minutes to the race.  The running part of the race actually went right by the cabin.  We didn't know any of that going into it, but it worked out perfectly.

We spent the entire weekend doing not much.  And interestingly enough, our kids were happy as clams!  There were times of just sitting and looking at each other and around, doing absolutely not a thing, and never once that weekend did they say they were "bored."  It was just what we needed - to unplug and connect.

We biked.  We think the kids put in around 10-15 miles on Saturday, and on some big hills.  Charlie boy doesn't use training wheels, so that little boy's legs were just a motoring away on his little bike.  We were so proud of the kids.

We swam and played at the beach.  Old fashioned fun with sand and water never gets old.

We ate s'mores and ice cream.

We fished.

We relaxed.

We enjoyed.








As for the race, I did about half (maybe) of the training.  It's a time commitment, and while I was committed to doing it the best I could, I wasn't willing to sacrifice all sorts of family time for it.  I'm just not in the season of life for that.  A lot of unforeseen stuff happened this summer, so I put in the time I was able and was proud of what I was able to get done.

The swimming part I hated.  I love swimming - in.a.pool.  I'm not a lake person to begin with, combined with a mob of people kicking in your face, and I'm not a fan.  I ended up flipping over and doing backstroke most of the way, because mentally I felt less claustrophobic.

The biking part got long.  It was so nice going out, and I was actually having a ton of fun.  Turned around, and bam, there was the wind.  The ride back in got a little long (boring) and was harder.  Still, the bike portion was enjoyable.

By the time I got to running, I was had.  I just felt tired.  The beginning was in grass and more like trail running.  Fun maybe.  Harder yes.  But, the running part went faster than I anticipated.  At the two mile marker I had thought it had only been one.  Nice surprise there!

My goal was two hours, and I finished at 1:45.  I was really pleased with how I did.  Of course, after the fact you wish you would have pushed more here and there.  However, I honestly felt the entire time like I was doing the best I could.  It was something I just wanted to be able to know I could do, and I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment