Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Highs and Lows.

Oh the life of a momma, and all the highs and lows that come with it. When things are good, they are good. When things are bad, they seem just horrible. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

High: My husband & father have started field work! It's such an exciting time for them. We have watched the snow come, the snow go, the snow come, the snow go, and viola - the beauty of spring is finally here! I love to see how hard Dallas works during this time. He takes his job very seriously, and does his absolute best. I am very proud of him.

Low: The task of taking care for 3 very young children weeks upon weeks by myself, from sun up to sun down, Monday through Saturday, is a little daunting. I get tired. Quite honestly, I get a little sick of the same *sweet* faces every day. An adult conversation at night would sure be nice. But, it's my life. I signed up for it. And believe it or not, I love it.

High: Layla is completely potty trained! Hallelujah!

Low: She bit Maleah this morning and left a good ol' mark. Really, Layla?

High: Maleah completed a 100-piece puzzle all by herself. Watching her learn and seeing her mind work so hard is very rewarding as a mommy. It's fun to see her grow and develop.

Low: I've got a killer cold. I knew it was coming. I've dreaded the moment I woke up with my head pounding and nose running like crazy. Today was the day. And mommies don't get sick days.

I woke up this morning feeling very overwhelmed. The thought of Dallas being gone for weeks, the fact that the girls went to bed 2 hours later than normal and woke up an hour earlier than normal wasn't exactly exciting, and my head beating outside of itself was not a good combination.

So, around the table we all went. We put worship music on the computer (Layla is convinced every musician is Uncle Chris; melts my heart), I helped Maleah with puzzles, Charlie and Carson were playing wonderfully, and over in the corner was Layla with her hands raised, singing her little heart out. And I realized, all is well.

The highs and lows are so worth it. Every minute of it. Every minute of every day is not peachy, no doubt. But, the overall picture is. And the prize at the end of the day: when all the children are happily sleeping in their beds, Dallas gets to come home to the place he gets refreshed and recharged for another hard day's work, and I have the satisfaction of knowing I am doing what I'm called to do as wife and mom, makes it all come together perfectly.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! It is completely true! My favorite is that Layla thinks every musician is Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this - all the things i'm looking forward to about being a mother, the good and bad:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're awesome Maris. And, how precious of Layla and her love for worship music (& Uncle Chris) :)
    love and MISS you. - jill

    ReplyDelete