Thursday, December 8, 2011

this Christmas.

I have felt a neat stirring this Christmas season. I was just telling Dallas that I feel so great this Christmas; not pregnant, nursing, not deprived of sleep, & healthy. We have no idea what next Christmas will bring, so for now we are enjoying every single minute of it. I have decorated to the hills, attended a Christmas concert, making Christmas goodies, and taking the time to talk with my children about the magic of this season. It's been wonderful, fun, & sweet.

But there's more to it this year for me. In MOPS we took a look at Christmas through the eyes of Mary. Can you even imagine being Mary? Being so young, so innocent, and having the burden, or privelege, to carry and birth the Messiah? The words of "Mary, Did You Know" have such incredible meaning to me, as a mommy myself:

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?

The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am.

Then there's the perspective of Joseph. I know the pride that beamed from Dallas when his children were born. The second our children were here, we fell in love, and would protect them from absolutely anything and anyone. I can't imagine the fear and sadness of knowing your child will be beaten to death, yet the pride and victory in Him saving the world. ("Joseph's Lullaby" by MercyMe):

Go to sleep my Son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head

Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child

Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, Sleep tight

Christmas is great every year. The time together with family, the good food, playing games, getting and giving presents...it's all so wonderful! But this year, for whatever reason, Christmas is bringing me so much joy.

I imagine Dallas's grandpa spending his first Christmas in heaven and think glorious.
I think of Dal's parents' health and baby Canaan, and know life is not to be taken for granted.
I know my children are fascinated with the birth of Jesus and their nativity set.
I am so grateful for my salvation and life in Christ. His death and resurrection brought me new life, an eternity with Him, and blessings here and now.

But it all started with His birth. For that I celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! going to download Joseph's Lullaby right now -- i love that song sooo much!

    ReplyDelete