Friday, December 30, 2011

Meal Planning.

I have found that meal planning helps both my sanity and our budget!

If I do not have a plan, I open the fridge at 4:30 pm, scan the shelves, shut the fridge, and order pizza. With a plan, I can get meat out the night before, always have all the ingredients I need at home, and buy only what I need when grocery shopping (otherwise I would pick up this and that, come home, realize nothing really goes together, and have to go back to the store for one or two more things...waste of money, food, and time).

I do my plan monthly. I try to do one monster shopping trip getting everything that will last the entire month: cans, frozen, boxes. Then I go once a week to get milk and produce.

I do not always stick with the menu. Just because it says we will have chicken and baked potatoes on Tuesday does not mean we have to have chicken and baked potatoes on Tuesday. It's only a guideline, provides options I know I have home, and helps with our grocery money.

For breakfast we have a weekly rotation. It goes like this:
Monday: waffles & bacon
Tuesday: cereal or oatmeal
Wednesday: french toast sticks & yogurt
Friday: bagel w/ PB&J or cream cheese
Saturday: big breakfast (pancakes, omelets, etc.)
Sunday: cinnamon rolls (either at home or at chuch)
If they don't want what is on the "menu," they can have cereal, and cereal only. I make one thing for breakfast (make is a stretch...these are easy items!), and won't be a short order cook.

For lunch we have a two week rotation. It goes like this:
Monday: mac & cheese & mixed veggies / hot dog & orange
Tuesday: out to eat!
Wednesday: cheese ravioli with meat sauce / chicken nuggets, french fries, & green beans
Thursday: turkey, cheese, & pretzels / banana with peanut butter & zucchini/carrot muffin
Friday: PB&J sandwich & string cheese / hamburger helper & apples
These are all super easy, super cheap, super quick, super kid-friendly. I don't eat any of these things, but the kids sure do!

I hope you are able to find these ideas helpful. I'm not posting about how I do meals to boast or make anyone feel bad who doesn't plan. To each their own, completely!

However, I do feel that staying home, this is part of my job. I manage the home, and this is part of that. I try to see food as not only something to fill our tummy, but fuel to happily get through the day, as well as a time and reason to sit around the table as a family and laugh and share together.

Happy meal planning! I promise: it does make life easier!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this, thanks friend! But what happened to Thursday breakfast? =)

    ReplyDelete