Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2012 resolutions.

I'm not a fan of the word resolution. I prefer words like: goals, new beginnings, changes, ideals. I have these every year, and every year they slowly fall apart. This year will probably be no different (I hope it is, but let's be realistic here). That's why I don't absolutely resolve to do these things, but it is my goal to start the year afresh and get after it. Here's the list:

1. Lose 10-15 pounds. I get pretty tired of this resolution, but also refuse to go crazy at it. I can lose weight fairly easily, but having said that, it fairly easily creeps its way back on. Without popping pills, committing half of my day to it, giving Dallas's hard-earned money to programs, and protecting my children's eyes from vanity issues and insecurity, Dallas and I want to carry on with a healthy lifestyle. We want to do it all within moderation, yet have good health be a way of life.

2. Do 2 sprint-triathlons by myself and 1 as a team. Thankfully I have a friend who I will do this with to keep me going. I'm not positive I'm even capable of doing the entire thing on my own. Therefore, if I don't tell y'all right now that I'm going to do it, I will not. So there it is. I'm doing it.

3. Brush the kids teeth every day. Kind of embarrassing, but we aren't exactly awesome at this. Funny, because I am in sane about brushing my own teeth.

4. Start devotions with the kids every morning. Rather than emptying the dishwasher, cleaning up the kitchen, getting organized for the day, etc., I want to sit down with the kids and have breakfast be a sweet time of the day. I think the kids will love having the day start off with my attention, we will have the reminder first thing about why/how we act with love all day, and we are ready to get some good family rhythms going in this home. I'm excited! Any suggestions on books?

5. Pray & Praise board. We are in the process of putting a prayer and praise board by our kitchen table. Every night we will write things/people we need to pray for, and things/people we are praising God for. The visual will remind us throughout the day, and we won't tell someone, "i'll pray for you," only to go home, get busy, and totally forget.

6. Exercise. Dallas and I got a membership to the Parkersburg and Aplington fitness center. It's only $10 a month, with access any (literally) time of the day. Woo hoo! We've been going together and dare I say it: it's been so fun!

7. Connect with friends we haven't talked with/seen in a while.

8. Send 2 cards a week. Just for encouragement, to say hello, to give a smile through the mailbox. I'm not a good card-sender, and want to work on it! So here goes.

9. Read my Bible every single day. You do make time for what you want. Sure...time is tight, I am busy, I am tired. But who isn't? I still do the things I want to do. No more excuses. I am reading my Bible every day.

10. Love people who are hard to love. Eek. This one is hard, isn't it? And by hard to love I mean: don't like me, people I don't naturally connect with, people I'm uncomfortable with, you get the picture.

11. Be bold in my faith and invitational. Like Pastor Fuller said, "Hell is hot and Jesus is real." The challenge went out: what if we really believe that people who don't accept Christ are going to hell? Sure, we know and believe it. But really believe, and live that way. There is a lot at stake, and not a single more important decision in this life.

12. Be responsible for me and try to not get caught up in others (in other words, manage the people pleaser in me). When this life is through, we will all stand before the Lord and be judged. I am not responsible for the person next to me. I am responsible for me. I want to please the Lord, I want to finish well, I want to make Him proud on judgment day. I am going to attempt to stop worrying about others who are at odds, being disappointed in people, being so sad by some people's decisions, etc. While I want to be sensitive to all of that, I ultimately can not fix it.

13. Be better at keeping a schedule. Not a minute-to-minute schedule. Part of the perk of being home with the kids is floating through the day and if the wind blows one way we can go. However, things run more smoothly if the kids know what's next. For the most part we have a plan for the day, but I need to be more intentional.

14. Have teaching time. Have time at the table each day doing letters, numbers, reading, etc. I was really good at this but not so much anymore. While I think the kids learn mostly through play and don't need hours of cramming academics down their throat, 30 minutes a day will be beneficial. I especially need to make the effort with Layla (not that she needs more, but because I don't want her to get jipped in typical middle child fashion).

15. Find joy! Have fun! I hope (nearly) everytime you see me I look happy and joyful. Now, every minute of every day is totally not! But, the overall picture absolutely is! We are so incredibly blessed. We have healthy children, a warm and gorgeous home, jobs that we love, loving and supportive family and friends, and the list goes on and on. I want to remember in the daily grind of things to find joy, and have fun!

What are your resolutions?

5 comments:

  1. Love this! Can I steal? Of course, without the triathlon part!

    We have a good devotion book we just started with the boys. I'll have to look at the name and send it your way.

    That little Charlie boy down there in those photos--too precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #2- pigman and copper creek by yourself and peregrine with your dad. Perfect!! :) And I am 100% sure you can do it. Swimming is the hardest part for everyone and you have already accomplished that! Let me know when you sign up...I will do it the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABC devotional by Joel Beeke. We love it. there is a short verse for every letter of the alphabet and a little devotional to go along with it. very appropiate for your kids ages. We just start over every time we finish it. You could focus on one letter a week and expand the devotional. it is a great way to start scripture memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your goals! You can absolutely do them! You are an amazing momma and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! i need to write some down too :) love you!

    ReplyDelete