Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Applesauce!

The problem with gardens, trees, and bushes: when they produce, they produce!  And after all the major production, I am burnt out.

Last week I asked my friend if she wanted any tomatoes.  She came back with do you want any apples?  Tomatoes and apples galore!  I first said, "No...I am very over dealing with produce."  Then I gave myself a little shake and remembered all the precious years of my mom and grandma making homemade applesauce.  I'm not great at crafts, we don't sit around the table hours of the day doing workbooks, my house is not immaculate, but by golly, we can do applesauce!

We went that evening on a little picking adventure.  Treking through a bean field with five kids, a carseat, buckets, and an apple picker; I said it was an adventure!  Those kids picked and picked with pure delight. 

Once we got home, we threw them all into the big ol' bath.


Next, cut each apple into four.  No peeling, no nothing.  Easy as that!


Throw them into a big pot of water.


Let them boil for a bit.


Check on the cute baby laying in the window seat.


Move over to the nifty machine, and run them through.  The "waste" comes out one end while the applesauce flows into the pan.



Cool the applesauce before pouring them into containers or bags.  We did not have to add even a teaspoon of sugar.  It was absolutely delicious!


We were at the library Friday, and the girls, without being asked, started talking and talking and talking to the librarian about our day making applesauce.  "It was the best day ever, and we all got to help!"  The kind gal behind the desk reminded me that though it wasn't easy with four kids under foot, applesauce in the store is cheap, and it was a lot of work for not a ton of applesauce, the memories were more than worth while.  She said, "One day they will leave, and these are the things they will remember."  After a friendly encouragement to keep it up, even when it seems overlooked or a silly waste of time, I felt refreshed.  All in the name of applesauce.  :)

1 comment: