Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Harvest 2013

Combines are rolling around here.  Dust is in the air (and all over my furniture), the dryer sounds hums me to sleep at night, I'm drowning in Hawaiian buns for yummy lunches, Charlie cries every night for Daddy, the air is crisp, the smells are glorious, and God is showering His blessings once again.  It's harvest time.

Last year at this time, we were finished.  Yep.  This year, at this time, we are four short, putz around days, and one long, official, day in.  Funny how each season and year is entirely different.

They took off with the combine to work out kinks and try some beans on October 2nd.  Things are going well, and they are now rolling right around. 

Ready to roll!

Off they go!  Safe riddins, boys.

Beautiful day!

Cute passenger.

I adore this picture.  See the littlest man on the left?

Quite the crew out for a one round jammie ride.


Beautiful.


I have to say I have come a long ways in our five years of farming.  While I used to tolerate the ever so long days, running around at a moment's notice, slaving over a meal only to have them gobble it up on the go with very little recognition, feeling lonely and isolated at times, and dealing with the crying of the kids by myself, I have come to truly find joy in this beautiful season.

I love the buzz in the air.  I love running the guys around.  I love that my kids get to see what their daddy does for work.  I love that while Daddy might not be home, I am.  I love feeding their bellies with warm food so they can better do their work into the night.  I love the action around the farm, the vehicles coming in and out, and the sound of the auger turning off and on.  I love the memories it triggers of my years here as a little girl with my big sisters.  I love having my nephews and nieces out to be a part of the family operation; we desire for them to be very included.  All of it; it is an absolute pleasure.

Hard, long days?  You bet.  Blessings abounding?  Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment