Monday, March 24, 2014

My Dilemma...

Every Christmas, our family goes around and says an accomplishment from the year before and a goal for the year ahead.  Two Christmases ago, my goal was to be more disciplined; in every area.  Last year my accomplishment was that I met my goal!

I feel like I have finally gotten ahead (maybe just caught up?) of the ball on meal planning, housework, good and manageable schedules, getting to places on time, eating well, exercising, and the list goes on.  I still have a lot of learning to do, but I can honestly say I am happy with how the hard practices I have put into place helped me meet my goal that year.

My dilemma, however, lies in the mornings.

We very rarely run around like crazies in the morning.  I absolutely refuse to start the day like that.  We are very prepared the night before with clothes laid out, back pack and/or diaper bag ready, breakfast decided.  A smooth start to the day does a lot as far as setting the tone.  Thus, the dilemma...

I wish I had the discipline, desire, and drive to get up before the kids.  Not like before the kids to wake them up as in most mornings.  But, before the kids.  I think thirty minutes to myself in the morning could go so far.  I've never been a "morning person," but that doesn't really matter when you become a mom.

I've set the alarm at 6:30 before.  I turn it off.
I've gone through spurts of waking up and making myself some warm lemon & honey water to sip on in the morning, without having to share it, but the spurt ended.
I've awaken to exercise, but after a couple days fooled myself later is better for me.

There are specific times Dallas and I have woken up early; for our vacations, to go in and be induced for baby, when we had our races, and for Layla's surgery.  I specifically remember saying to each other every time that we should do this every morning.  It doesn't have to be super early.  Just together.  And intentionally.

Bottom line is this: when I hear the kids' footsteps in the morning, I want to be waiting, and wanting, to greet them.  I want to get ready for my job, like everybody else does, before my little people show up to work.  I want to prepare, if only for ten minutes, for my family.  I want to start the day just God and I.

Consider this your permission to keep me accountable, I guess?  I'm going to give this a shot again.  I've never regretted having ten minutes of peace and quiet.



No comments:

Post a Comment