Thursday, March 20, 2014

Teaching

I took off on a new endeavor the beginning of 2014.  You can now call me Mrs. Wessels, the Timothy Christian music teacher.

Another gal and I are splitting the job so we each only have one afternoon a week.  It is fantastic!  When the job opening came up, I was very intrigued, but still felt like it would require too much time away from the little ones.  (It was only six hours a week.  Still, too much.)  So, when Wendy suggested splitting the job, it was a done deal!

Honestly, it was hard at first.  I stepped in a couple weeks before Christmas, so felt like a substitute teacher.  The kids treated me like one too.  I was known as Maleah's mom, all the Kindergarteners were whispering that they know my "real name" and have been to my "real house."  It was super cute!  And very hard.

Now?  I am loving it!  Once I got into a groove, made my own lesson plans, started planning the program with Wendy, and got to know the precious children, it has all fallen into place.

A few things that have surprised me...

...my preference of ages.  Having taught Kindermusik for years (and LOVING it), I thought Kindergarten would be my favorite.  They are so stinkin' cute, love to move to music, and tell me the darndest things.  But oy, they are squirmy.  Turns out the very class I was dreading has become my favorite age to teach.  Junior high!  Who would of thought.

...5th and 6th grade boys are too cool for school.  End of story.

...dressing up in professional clothes once a week is fun!  There's nothing better than yoga pants, but every Wednesday Dallas turns his head a little further when I walk by.  It's kinda nice.

...I adore these children.  I can.not.believe how quickly I came to care a lot about them!  One of my students has been really sick, and it has weighed so heavily on my mind.  Each one of them is so special to me.  I am loving getting to know them, and have taken it as my personal challenge to connect with each of them in a unique way.

...There is a huge difference from Kindergarten to 1st/2nd grade.  Kindergarten is a lot more about growing up than it is learning the abc's.  It's really neat to see the progression.

I am thrilled to be able to share my love for music.  I know not every one of those kids likes to sing or learn about theory, but I guarantee they all like to listen to it.  Music is such a huge part of life, and it is my goal to teach them how to enjoy such a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment