Friday, June 20, 2014

Camp MusicMania

Awhile back, I was asked to teach at Camp MusicMania at UNI this summer.  I felt really honored, but really reluctant as I didn't feel qualified.  With lots of thought, I hesitantly, yet boldly, said "yes!"  I'm so glad I did.

As the camp approached, I got really nervous.  I filled in for another teacher half time with kids 4-9 grades (who wasn't done with her school year yet), and taught Creative Time for K-3 grades.  Creative Time was my deal, meaning I had to come up with my own activities or use that time however I wanted.  I was wondering why in the world I agreed to this!

But, the first morning of camp, all the energy had me flying high.  230 kids excited and eager to sing, dance, and learn was awesome.

After a glitch the first day with scheduling rooms, and in that, having to manage about 75 little kids in a teeny room, all went wonderfully.  And, much to my surprise, my favorite was the big kids!  I've learned a lot about my preferences and strengths this past year.  Who woulda known.

Maleah and Layla were able to attend as campers, and had a great time.  It was long for Layla, and reassured me that half time Kindergarten is superb.  Her favorite was art, and Maleah loved all the music.  Charlie and Ruby did awesome between grandmas and babysitters.  I was really anxious about being gone so much that week, but everyday Charlie wasn't ready for me to be back so soon. Thanks, buddy.

What I learned most is that my heart is at home.  While teaching for one week was so fun and something I hope to do again, I was tired.  And when I'm tired, my family gets the least of me.  I was done everyday by 2:30, but still getting supper on the table, doing everyday housework, and giving the kids' the attention they deserve of their mom was hard.  All good things, but even too many good things are bad.  I probably suffered the most, between exhaustion and guilt.  The kids all seemed to soar right along as if all was right in their world.  :)

I am so thankful for the experience at camp.  The program was wonderful!  The campers were delightful.  And I learned a lot that I'm excited to implement into the next year at TC.

After dragging my feet, I am so glad I said, "yes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment