Monday, May 19, 2014

Contact Update

Maleah is still surprising me with how well she is adjusting to her contact.  We have had both funny and frustrating moments with it.

Funny...

Last week, Maleah came home and told me her contact came out at recess.  I asked her how she dealt with that problem, and she assured me she went into the bathroom and put it back in.  What?!  No way did I believe her, because we spend so.much.time working to get that thing in every single day.  It could not be possible she just put it back in her eye in the school bathroom with no help.

So, what do I do?  I contact Mr. Nuiver who was on recess duty when this happened.  I asked him if she did, in fact, have her contact fall out.  He answered with, "Yes, it did."  I then asked him if it was true that she went inside and put it back in by herself.  He answered with, "Yes, she did."  I laughed and explained to him how I have put sweat and tears into this stinkin' contact every morning, and then boom, she just plops it back in by herself?  He answered, "That is the wonder of growing up quickly.  She wouldn't want to call her mom for that."  True.  I apologized for bothering him and thanked him for his time.  His last comment was, "You are welcome.  And, you should trust your kid."  Oh, did we have a good laugh!

Frustrating...

The other night she went to take her contact out and was obviously struggling big time.  Her eye was turning red, watering, and she was getting discouraged.  We looked further into things and realized there was no contact.  Weird.  Somewhere along the way her contact had fallen out and she did not know it.

This was the perfect opportunity to put her "dailies" to use.  We were just putting that off, and now we had no other option.  Those dailies, I tell ya.  They are HARD.  After a lot of trying and way too much stress, I called the eye doctor and asked for another option.  They were so gracious and gave us a different kind.  We are back on track.

During that time, though, Maleah had to wear her glasses.  I think I did not realize the hardship for her, even with her glasses.  Piano and violin have come so much easier to her with her contact, I think because of looking out onto the fingerboard and down onto the keys.  She also seems to have headaches more without the contact.

With her contact, though, she is a different kid.  Her temperament has been off the charts: happy.  As soon as she gets it in, she is over the moon.  I am thankful we found something so helpful to her.  I was completely unaware of what this would mean to her.

We are adjusting.  We have laughed and laughed while we fumble around, and screamed at other times.  All in all, all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment